I know peach season here in Ontario is still a couple of months off…but when I came across this recipe from #Taste of Home# magazine I had to give it a try.
Of course me being me I had to tweak it a little to add my own touches and make it mine. I could’t find frozen peaches, only mixed fruit with frozen peaches, hence the name change for my version of this recipe. I call mine “Peach Mango Pound Cake”. In the frozen fruit blend I purchase there were strawberries (which I left in) mangoes, pineapple and peaches. I decided to give the mangoes a go too.
I also changed up the flour a bit to take some of the guilt away from devouring this scrumptious cake. I used half whole wheat and half unbleached flours. After baking this cake I decided I would like some type of glaze to pour on top. Not one that has used glazes I again went in search of a recipe and found a Cinnamon Icing. It didn’t clue into me at the time that this was supposed to be an icing and not a glaze. I also changed up this recipe a little. When making a glaze be sure to not add more liquid then needed. I did with this cake so it was more of a wash then a glaze. Anyway the cake came out very tasty in deed. So pour a cuppa and sit back and cut yourself a slice and if you have any great glaze recipes how about sharing them with me, I need all the help I can get in that department.
Tata for now,
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups of whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups unbleached white flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups chopped mixed peaches, mangos and strawberries
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until fluffy, add eggs one at a time stirring after each one. Add your extracts and mix well. Combine flours, salt and soda: add to batter alternating with the sour cream. Gently fold in fruit.
- Pour into a greased and floured fluted pan and bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until cake tests done. Coll on rack for 10 minutes then turn out to finish cooling. Dust with confectioner sugar or glaze with a vanilla flavoured glaze. I toasted some sliced almonds to sprinkle on top. Sit back and enjoy.