Tender Lemon Drops, yes these cookies are definitely a keeper. I could eat six or seven in a row with a steaming cup of tea no problem.
I made these lovely cookies with chia seeds for a bit of a change from the regular poppy seed version you often see.
I also made them with half whole wheat flour. I love the combination of a bit of whole wheat with lemon. It does tend to take a bit of the guilt out of eating so many you know. I believe these cookies are kid friendly too. Hold on a minute I have to go take the brownies out of the oven. These brownies are a secret recipe my kids made me promise never to share with anyone, but I am thinking that they may make an awesome opt in option here.
Moving on, I guess by now you have figured out that I love to bake. I find it very stress relieving…especially when I approach it from a get to bake mind set instead of a have to mind set. It is that way with most things though con’t you think. Anyway I really hope you enjoy this recipe. There is enough in the batch to freeze a few for another day if you so wish. Thanks for dropping by and Tata for now,
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3½ tsp. lemon zest
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds, and more
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Bring lemon juice to a low simmer and let reduce by half.
- Add ¼ cup butter, stir until melted and remove from heat.
- Stir together salt, baking soda and both flours.
- Cream remaining butter and 1 cup of sugar on medium with your mixer. Mix in egg and lemon butter.
- Add vanilla and 2 tsp. of lemon zest. Add flour mixture and chia seeds.
- Stir your remain lemon zest and sugar, set aside.
- Roll dough into 1½" balls, roll in lemon sugar mixture and place about 2" apart on cookie sheet.
- Flatten with the bottom of a glass that as been dipped in the sugar. Sprinkle with extra chia seeds.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes and remove from oven, allow to cool for 2 minutes on pan then remove to cooling rack.These cookies will keep for one week in a sealed container.