While we were out for our walk yesterday what a delight it was to see not one but two lovely geese families. I was able to get a shot of one of the families…the other one was to shy and quickly wobbled away. It is one of the things I do look forward to every year and relish when these little babies are born. It signals to me that we are in the throughs of mid spring with the temperatures getting warmer and the thought of strawberry season not to far behind.
With that idea in my head I decided to come up with a recipe that would give me a good reason to brew a pot of lady lavender tea. The cake I created is lovingly called Strawberry Devonshire Poke Cake. I cheated and used a Golden Cake Mix along with a can of Ambrosia Devonshire Cream. This cake comes together quickly and would make a lovely dessert at a barbecue. I hope you like it,
- For the cake:
- 1 Box of Golden Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 1¼ cup of water
- 1/ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can of Devonshire Cream
- 1 cup toasted almonds
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 container of cool whip or whipping cream.
- Mix and bake cake according to directions on the box adding the almond extract to the mix.
- Let cake cool for 30 minutes and then poke all over with a wooden spoon end.
- Pour over the condensed milk and Devonshire cream.
- Layer on slice strawberries and cover with cool whip or whipped cream.
- Then sprinkle on your toasted almonds.
- Refrigerated for at least 3 hours before serving.