Summer time, there is just something about summer that evokes lots of nostalgia. Scents, flavours and lazy days. Hearing a song can bring us back so quickly to a long lost memory or activity. And how about taste…I had an ice cold A&W root-beer yesterday and it made me feel like a kid once again. It was served in a frosted glass and it tasted like heaven.
Another thing early summer gets me in the mood for is making home-made strawberry jam or how about strawberry shortcake, its always a winner. Whether you serve it with whipped cream or a really good vanilla it is sure to please your taste buds,and any of those who are lucky enough to share some with you.
Theme parks and rollercoaster rides are another big winner on those long hot summer days. I will be going to Canada’s WonderLand this coming week and my challenge is to tackle at least one rollercoaster, along with the waterslides and taking in all there wonderful shows. On that day there will be no rules for this lady, I am going to allow myself the luxury of embracing my inner child and going for it Funnel Cakes and all.
The other thing I am doing is heading to the beach and totally abandoning myself to the wind, sand and sun. This is God”s gift to us and I plan on enjoying each moment. Sandcastles, collecting shells and playing in the waves, this is what summer is about.
- 1½ cups unbleached white flour
- 1 1.2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup grated butter
- 1 cup buttermilk, plus 2 tbsp.
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- whip cream for topping and middle
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, sift flours, baking powder, baking soda together. Add sugar and grated butter stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine butter milk, vanilla and orange zest. Add to dry ingredients to form a wet dough. Turn out unto lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or two, adding flour if necessary. Flatten and roll out till about 1" thick. Using 2" - 3" round cookie cutter. Cut out rounds and place on cookie sheet. Brush with butter milk and prick with fork. Bake about 10 minutes or until done. To serve slice and layer whip cream and strawberries add top and then more whip cream and strawberries.Serve.